Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse
Community Search
Reciprocity Application
Share |

Please call the Texas Certification Board directly at (512) 708-0629 if you are interested in applying for reciprocity FROM Texas TO another IC&RC member board. 


If you wish to apply for reciprocity TO Texas from another state certification board, please contact your CURRENT BOARD regarding your reciprocity.  


YOU MUST HOLD a Texas ICRC Certification through the Texas Certification Board to apply for reciprocity through our board. 

The LCDC IS NOT a certification through our board; it is a State issued license.


Information Regarding Reciprocity through IC&RC


IC&RC, Affiliated Boards, and Reciprocity:
IC&RC works to facilitate reciprocity between jurisdictions for professionals that hold an IC&RC recognized credential or license through an affiliated board. A list of all boards affiliated with IC&RC can be found at this link: If you do not see your board on at this link, IC&RC will not be able to assist with reciprocity.

Reciprocity and the Right to Practice:
It is vitally important that professionals investigate practice requirements in their desired jurisdiction prior to relocating. Practice requirements are often mandated by jurisdictional law. Multiple credentials can and do exist within many jurisdictions. Before reciprocating, ensure that the credential you will receive in your new jurisdiction allows you to provide your desired level of service. Completing the reciprocity process does not necessarily provide the right to practice.

To make the process as smooth as possible, it is recommended that you reciprocate your credential at least three months prior to moving.

Contact the board in the jurisdiction to which you are relocating and ask if there are other requirements that you must meet in order to reciprocate and practice.

  1. Contact your current board and ask for an Application for Reciprocity.
  2. Complete the Application for Reciprocity and return it to your current board with the appropriate fee.
  3. Your application will be verified and sent to the IC&RC Office, then sent to your requested board.
  4. You will then be contacted by the requested board when the process is completed.

Frequently Asked Questions regarding reciprocity:

Can I reciprocate my credential to any board?
Your credential is reciprocal only with boards that offer an equivalent credential. For example, if you hold a Prevention Specialist credential from Pennsylvania and you want to reciprocate that credential to Nebraska, you would be unable to do so because Nebraska does not offer the Prevention Specialist credential.

When should I begin the reciprocity process – before I move into my new jurisdiction or after?
It is best to start the process prior to moving into your new jurisdiction. That way if there are any delays in processing your application, it should be completed before you begin to work in your new jurisdiction. Waiting until after you move could result in a delay in starting new employment.

Can I maintain my credential in more than one jurisdiction?
Yes, you are permitted to maintain your credential in more than one jurisdiction. You will be required to meet the re-certification criteria in each jurisdiction.

When I reciprocate to a new jurisdiction, will my current expiration date on my credential change?
No, your new jurisdiction is required to provide you with the same expiration date that appears on your current

Is there ever a time when I could be denied reciprocity into a new jurisdiction?
It is the right of every jurisdiction to determine who is or is not eligible for reciprocity. Often boards will require
additional standards outside of IC&RC’s reciprocity procedure that must be met before a reciprocity is approved.
It is critical that you check with your new jurisdiction before reciprocating to determine your eligibility.

How long does the reciprocity process take?
Typically, reciprocities are finalized within 6-8 weeks of completing your Reciprocity Application. IC&RC will
contact you once your application has been processed and forwarded to your desired board.

If my credential has expired in my current jurisdiction, can I still reciprocate into a new jurisdiction?
No, your credential must be current and valid in order to reciprocate. If your credential has lapsed, you must
successfully recertify prior to applying for reciprocity. In order to avoid credentials expiring during the reciprocity
process, credentials must be valid for at least 60 days at the time of application.

If I hold a license rather than a certification, will I receive a license from my new jurisdiction?
Not necessarily. You will receive what is deemed as the equivalent in your new jurisdiction. Please contact the
IC&RC affiliated board in your new jurisdiction to determine that equivalency. Contact information for all
affiliated boards can be found at this link:

What are the differences between certification and licensure?
While these terms are used interchangeably, there are differences between the two concepts.

Certification is a process by which a non-governmental organization grants recognition to an individual who has
met predetermined qualifications and has demonstrated a level of knowledge and skill required in a profession
specified by that organization. Certification is typically a voluntary process but can be a mandatory in some

Licensure is a governmental grant of legal authority, pursuant to that government’s power, to practice a
profession within a particular scope of practice. Under a licensure system, a government will define by statute
the tasks and function or scope of practice of a profession and these tasks may be legally performed only by
those holding that license.

Confusion between certification and licensure arises because many jurisdictions call their licensure processes
“certification,” particularly when they incorporate the standards and requirements of private certifying bodies in
their licensing statutes and require that an individual be certified in order to have jurisdictional authorization to


Want more info? Visit

Texas Certification Board 401 Ranch Road 620 South, Suite 310 Austin, TX 78701 
(512) 708-0629 / Fax (888) 506-8123 - -